Carlfriedrich CLAUS (Germany)
Carlfriedrich Claus (1930 – 1998, Annaberg, Germany) – poet, artist, essay writer. One of the outstanding representatives of the European trend of concrete and visual poetry. He started his creative literary and artistic endeavour in 1944, in 1953 he commenced correspondence with H. Arp, in the midst 50s created his first visual poetry pieces, poetic compositions. The correspondence with R. Hausmann provoked the creation of Claus’s first series of double-sided visual poetry pieces “Schreibakt.” Since 1961 he held more than thirty solo exhibitions of graphic art and visual poetry both in Germany and abroad, including the exhibitions at Kunsthalle (Baden-Baden, 1964), Klub O.V. Guericke (Magdeburg, 1968), Galerie Akumulatory 2 (Poznan, 1974), Kupferstichkabinett (Dresden, 1980), Städtisches Museum (Zwickau, 1989); he also conducted a solo exhibition tour in the museums in Germany: Muenster – Frankfurt/M – Bielefeld – Munich – Hamburg – Weiden – Berlin (1990-91), Buch Julius (Stuttgart, 1991), Museum van Hedendaagse Kunst (Gent, 1992), Städtisches Kunstmuseum (Reutlingen, 1993), Lindenau-Museum (Altenburg, 1993) and many others. Claus participated in more than one hundred group exhibitions of experimental poetry in various countries, among them are the exhibitions at the Stedelijk Museum (Amsterdam, 1963), Haags Gemeente Museum (the Hague, 1965), Akademie der Künste (Berlin-West, 1966), Institut für Moderne Kunst (Nuremberg, 1968), Centre national d’art dramatique (Nizza, 1973), Musee d’art moderne (Brussels, 1977), Musée d’art moderne (Paris, 1981), Museum der bildenden Künste (Leipzig, 1983), Museum of Modern Art (Oxford, 1984), Gutenberg-Museum (Mainz, 1987), Akademie der Künste (Berlin, 1993) and many others. He was the holder of a number of prizes, awards and rewards, including such as Grafikpreis der Griffelkunst-Vereinigung Hamburg (1991), Jörg Ratgeb-Preis (1992), Graf-Kessler-Preis des Deutschen Künstlerbundes (1992). Claus was a member of the Berlin Academy of Arts, of the Leipzig Academy of Arts and an honorary professor of the Dresden Academy of Fine Arts, an honorary citizen of Annaberg-Buchholz. He was the author of numerous publications on visual poetry, essays, notices and theoretical articles both in Germany and abroad, including the ones in Nota 3 (Munich, 1959), Les Lettres 33 (Paris, 1965), Tangente Report (Heidelberg, 1965), Modulo 1 (Genua, 1966), De Tafelronde 4 (Amsterdam, 1967), Sinn und Forum 6 (Vienna, 1985) and many others. Since the 1980s he intensified his lautexerzitien – sound-phonetic activities, in which he was involved since the 1950s. His interest to the Krutschonych and Chlebnikov’s zaum language initiated a series of articles and sound compositions that were broadcast on various radio stations: WDR 3, WRD 5, BR, SWF, BR 2, MDR. Several documentaries were made about the creative activities of the outstanding artist and visual poet, including such as: C.C. im Gespräch mit Klaus Werner (directed by R. Wakonigg, Muenster, 1990), C.Ñ. im Gespräch (H. Wittig, Ettlingen, 1990) and others, more than one hundred articles were written, there was also published a basic catalogue-study dedicated to Claus’s solo exhibition tour in 1990-91 in the museums of Germany at Städtlisches Museum (Karl Marx Stadt). At present Claus’s studio houses the expositions of the acting Kunst Keller (Annaberg – Buchholz, Germany).